By Kerri Christensen
As someone who has been in the cleaning profession for five years now, there are a few home tidying tips that you need to know! Being a busy mom of four myself, I want to ensure that my house stays tidy from my daily life. Here are a few tidying tips my family and I do every night after work and school. If there is more than one person creating the dirty, know this: Teamwork is key! Things go faster with Teamwork!
Not to mention the rule in our house is if you’re dirting it, you’re washing it!
Tip #1: Dishes
Dishes are ew! Especially with so many people in the house, but it’s a necessary evil. Rather it’s just you, your significant other and you, or the whole family, one load of dishes needs to be done every day. This will cut down not only on clutter but the potential of having those creepy crawlers come out at night.
Tidying your Kitchen after Dinner
This should take 15 minutes
- Clear the table of cooked food. Store these into reusable Tupperware. Then place into the fridge.
- If you have a dishwasher unload and load with dirty dishes from dinner.
- Any dishes that would not fit into the dishwasher or if you don’t have a dishwasher, wash by hand and put on towel or strainer.
- Quickly spray the table and counters down with a disinfectant wipe and wipe up with a microfiber towel.
- Spot sweep floors with debris that may have fallen off the table or the counters.
Tip #2: Blankets and Pillows
If you’re anything like our family we like to curl up on the couch watching a movie with blankets. This means when you’re ready to go to bed for the night blankets and pillows have been left in a messy looking living room. Find a designated place for these items like a blanket chest or ladder to keep your home tidy. Make sure to fold these blankets each night before you go to bed or place them nicely over the couch. Decorative pillows should stay on the couch upright.
Every morning it takes 5 minutes to make your bed and fluff your pillows. This makes a world of difference when you get home. Instead of coming home to a messy bed you could fall into a nicely made bed.
Tip #3: Laundry & Clutter
Laundry can get away from you if you don’t keep on top of it! Like dishes, it’s important that if you have a medium to size large family that you must wash and dry at least one load of laundry a day. As well as fold one load of laundry a day so your laundry doesn’t escape you.
- Pick up your clothes from the floor. More importantly, make sure it goes into a dirty laundry basket. That way the floor doesn’t look like WWIII just happened!
- Start a load of laundry while you’re cooking dinner.
- Set a timer on your phone so you don’t forget about the laundry.
- After drying it, wait till the next day to fold that load.
This is the reason why: Since you’re already so busy taken care of your family by cooking dinner, helping with homework, etc. starting a load of laundry, then drying, and folding that load on the same day can be daunting. It’s important to remember that you too need some time to defrag rather you’re watching a movie, reading a book, taking a bath, playing a video game, or even scrolling through social media.
You need YOU time as well! That’s why it’s so important that you stay on top of your daily tidying tasks. By completing chores daily in small increments throughout the week you will have more free time on the weekends!
If you need any help with your home organization needs, check out our home organizing services.